Need Help With Kenwood TS-850SAT

All the other Voodoo Audio Topics.
K1DPM
Audio Head

Need Help With Kenwood TS-850SAT

Post by K1DPM »

Good morning all! I am a brand new member of the group and am in hopes that I can solicit some help with a buying decision. I have been reading reviews on the TS-850SAT which all appear to be generally favorable. Although I am aware of problems that have occured with the radio, it seems to provide excellent quality audio which is a quality I seek in SSB operations. I do not work CW often.

I currently run a Kenwood TS-480SAT. It has great receive which I appreciate. I have a W2IHY 8 Band in line which helps with Xmit audio however the rig is limited to a 2.4 filter. My objective to get a rig that is larger with knobs I can play with hi. The 850SAT appeals to me for that reason.

In selecting a used radio to buy, if you have any hints on serial #s I should avoid, I would appreciate it. Also, can you tell me what the transmit bandwith filters are on the rig? Do you feel that overall, with my 2IHY equilizer in line, the 850SAT should outperform the 480 with respect to audio quality. Why if that is the case. What is the best mic to use with that setup? Finally, is Kenwood still serviceing the 850? If not, can you point me in the right direction in the event I need help beyond my expertise?

Thank you! :P
Dick

Any advise you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Great Rig!

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Dick,
and welcome to the Voodoo Forum.

The TS-850s is a terriffic rig, and expandable.
It has good Fidelity out of the Box, Stock.
But not as good as the TS-870s.
The 870 is THE BEST Stock radio for Audio Fidelity on both Receive and Transmit.
The only limiting factor on the 870 is the TX Bandwidth.
It will go to about 3.5 with the W2IHY EQ and about 4.5Kc using the DSP1124 EQ (depending on the production date).

The TS-850s is good also but not nearly as Flat on receive or TX as the 870.
Once the 850 receive is modded, and the DSP-100 is added to it,
the 850 really comes alive!
It really depends upon what you want to settle for in Fidelity,
to which rig you really want.

Of course the Later S/N on the 850s are more desirable.
As to what these are, We really couldn't say.
It has been too long since we bought all of ours, and we never recorded that particular information.
I'm sure if you run that on Google, you might come up with some information, or better yet, call Kenwood.
They are very helpful in that respect.

The TS-850s comes with 2ea Filter IF banks.
The 8.83Mc bank with a 12kc LC filter, a 6Kc Crystal, a 2.7Kc ceramic, and 2 optional slots.
Th 455Kc Bandwidth a 12Kc ceramic, a 6Kc ceramic, 2.7Kc ceramic, and 2 optional slots.
With a simple power on menu mod, you can TX thru any combination of filters.
BUT...without the DSP-100, if you Transmit thru anything wider than the 2.7Kc filters you will be Double Sideband.

In stock form the TS-850s should outperform your TS-480 in Audio Fidelity.
We're guessing at this because we have never owned a 480, but we feel that it will.

As far a microphones, We think the best one to use with the combination you are going to run would be a Heil PR-40.
It is already almost EQ'd right out of the microphone, and the W2IHY should be able to tweak it the right amount.

We would say yes, that Kenwood is still servicing the 850s.
Best thing to do there would be to call the Kenwood Service Dept and ask them.
Another good place to get your TS-850s serviced would be B&B Technical Services.
http://www.amateur-repairs.com/
Bill is a great guy to work with and he knows the TS--850s.

Good luck on your decision,
We hope you get all that you are lookin for.
Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm