Need some help....

All the other Voodoo Audio Topics.
cu7ci
Audio Head

Need some help....

Post by cu7ci »

Hello there. I need some help if possible in making my behringer rack to work....so far i didnt have any luck. So my radio is a Yaesu FT-847 and my rack is:
>>MC03 BCT Mic
>>Behringer MinMIC
>>Behringer MiniCOM
>>Behringer DSP2024P
>>Behringer EX3200
>>FT-847
In that order. The problem is that i am starting to thing that my radio is damage or something....as i connect the rack directly to the PA system i get a supperb audio....but as soon as i connect it to the radio every thing goes to crap...can you help me??[/b]

KC7OV
Voodoo Audiophile

FT-847 help

Post by KC7OV »

Hello.I am far from being an expert in this,but maybe some pointers.
First,realize that your radio only has 2.4khz transmit capability but you can work with that,Your gear order as you described(not sure if you are using an equalizer) might go like this:Mic preamp,EQ,Ex 3200,
compressor and the 2024 last.You also need to add some kind of audio
pad down attenuation(like the w2ihy I-box) since the rack gear is line level audio and needs to be at mic level going into the radio.If you have access to another radio,it will help in making your adjustments.What your hearing through a PA system and using it for radio applications are two different worlds but not that far off.Hope this helps and that I did not give you any dis information.
Also,you may want to check NU9N.com

All the best,Mike

cu7ci
Audio Head

FT-847 AUDIO PROBLEMS

Post by cu7ci »

Hi there and thanks for your reply.
Yes my behringer equipment is in the order as described in the first post even though i dont know if it is in the right order or if it is missing some component ....maybe e EQ ....
The Mic goes into the MiniMic preamp------>then the MiniMic goes to the MiniCom compressor------->then it goes to the DSP2024P---->then through a XLR cable----> to the EX3200 Ch#1 and from de Ch#1 to the ------>Ch#2 of the same EX3200 and then finaly to the radio....

Right now on the radio i dont have any bass what so ever...so my audio sounds like crap....even if i turn every bass knob i still dont have any....

KC7OV
Voodoo Audiophile

FT-847

Post by KC7OV »

Yes,you are missing an important part of the chain,the EQ.If you reread my first reply is the way you should have the equipment setup.As stated,you are working with a radio with limited bandwidth so you are not going to be able to push a lot of lowend(bass)into it.

Mike KC7OV

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy!!!
and welcome to the Forum.

Mike is absolutely correct in both of his statements.

1 - You need to have an EQ in order to shape the way your audio sounds.
Without the EQ, you have no way of shaping the sonics of your audio to match the bandwidth of your radio.

2 - You need some sort of attenuator in between the last piece of rack gear and the Mic Input of the Radio. Normally, if all your rack gear are at the correct db level (-3 to 0db on voice peaks), the audio level will be to high going into the radio. This will cause the mic gain on the radio to just barely be opened, if it works at all. You need an attenuator to bring the Line Level of the Rack Gear down to Mic Level of the Radio.

Mike's recommendation of NU9N's website is an excellent reference for this.

http://www.nu9n.com

Good Luck!
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

cu7ci
Audio Head

FT-847 and behringer

Post by cu7ci »

Hi There,
thank you both for your replies

Ok so a EQ and a attenuator are in order.

as soon as i get my new components i will be talking to you.

in the meanwhile i'll try to work the best with what i have.

By the way will i be using both channels of each rack or just one all the way to the radio???

KC7OV
Voodoo Audiophile

Ft-847

Post by KC7OV »

Greetings.Single channel. You can use both channels on the EX 3200 and the 2024.This site shows you how to do it and setting the controls for both units.Xlr or TRS balanced into the first input channel.You would use an unbalanced TRS(1/4 mono) cable from the TRS output of the first channel into the TRS input of the second channel then a XLR or TRS balanced from the output of the second channel into the next piece of gear in line.

Mike,KC7OV

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Not to be a ball-buster, but you're going to spend tons of time trying to get the type of audio other people you hear have and never achieve it. Your bottleneck is your transceiver--2.4kHz!!

Not trying to deter you, but letting you know what you are in for. The one good thing about going this route, you truly appreciate your sound, gear and ESSB when you upgrade to a more ESSB capable transceiver.