Minimum Equipment List?

All the other Voodoo Audio Topics.
Bow
Voodoo Audiophile

Minimum Equipment List?

Post by Bow »

What you you gents think is the minimum amount of equipment needed to get fuller audio?

I'm not talking full blown Voodoo Audio, but something that sounds better than standard, DX quality SSB..

I am thinking an EQ and a Compressor.

The reason I as?

I'm trying to make a mini-setup to use mobile with my 10 meter rig.

I already have modified the radio, and modified a hand microphone (converted Power Mic). I went through the power mic circuit and increased the size of bypass caps, as well as installed the mic element from a Shure SM-58 for more low-end passing ability, then I opened up the bypass caps in the radio. It sounds "better", but it isn't THERE yet...

I realize my biggest limiting factor in the radio is the filters, but there isn't much I can do about that, so I figure if I hit them a little harder, I can extend the audio a bit.

I have tried the radio on my rack in the house, and it will pass audio down past 100 Hz in the AM mode:

So I'm thinking that I need more than just the power mic to boost the lows in a mobile application.

I figure a good basic graphic EQ and a compressor to bring the lows up may help...

What do ya think?
Bow

Quite possibilly the only 3.3 Khz wide Icom IC-718 in the world...

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Bow,

We thought about doing that at one time.
There used to be a company that made EQ's and Preamp's as small desktop units instead of rack units. they were very small.
Can't remember there name but seemed to fit the size requirements for the vehicle.
Might do a Google on that.
Good Luck!!!
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

kg6pqq
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by kg6pqq »

How would those little guitar pedal effects work as a mobile application? Just 9 volt batteries to power them.

Bow
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by Bow »

That is exactly what I am trying...

I acquired a Behringer EQ700 EQ pedal (100hz to 6.4 khz in 7 bands) and I am waiting for my Compressor/limiter board to arrive...

EQ700- http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/EQ700.aspx
Compressor/Limiter: http://store.guitarfetish.com/cofrjatoinsu.html

I guess I'll post results when I get it fired up..

I already have the EQ wired up, so I may try that while I wait for the Compressor...

That graph was made in AM mode, but I'm thinking the filters on the SSB side are not very steep on their freq cut-off, so maybe I can push some more audio through.
Bow

Quite possibilly the only 3.3 Khz wide Icom IC-718 in the world...