Headphones?

All the other Voodoo Audio Topics.
W6WTF
Audio Head

Headphones?

Post by W6WTF »

Hello I use BOSE QC-2 headphones and was wondering if these headphones have good enough frequency response?

Since this is my first post let me introduce myself. I go by my middle name "Eli" I am 15 mi N.E. of Sacramento.
My rig is a Yaesu ft-1000MP MKV with the INRAD 70MHZ if amplifier mod and the main IF was replaced with an INRAD 2.8. The original filter was put into the option 3 slot. The Mic. is a Heil PR-40 going to a W2IHY 8 band EQ and then to a W2IHY EQ Plus next into the radio. I don't run as much or the same equipment as the rest of the group but I get some pretty good audio reports.
W6WTF

w5cul
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by w5cul »

Hi Eli,

I replied to your post in the Voodoo Sale thread.

Very good question, and I now know why you asked. I couldn't find any mention of the audio bandpass for those headphones, not even within their manual. Unreal, particularly considering the price they demand.

When you get right down to it, the bandpass and sensitivity you want in a set of headphones really depends on what you are going to use them for. If you were buying new just for typical hammy radio, 2.7Khz to ear piercing 5/9 5/9 DX, anything lower than 80Hz and higher than 4Khz would be wasted money. However, you already have a set of headphones. And considering that they are Bose, I would hope that their bandpass is around 20Hz to 20Khz. So I would have to say that they should work just fine for ESSB, and of course 5/9 5/9 DX.

Now the Voodoo Guru has some real sweet Sennheiser HD-600; ask him about the special cord for those puppies. But of course he is one serious connoisseur when it comes to sound reproduction. As for myself, I use some plain ole run of the mill Sony MDR-V500. Now those get down to around 10Hz in response, and I quite often find myself having to adjust my Flex's bandpass filter to cut the head rattling bass down a little when I talk to any of the ESSB'rs.

Well, I hope the post helps.

Take care,

Mike
W5CUL

Live from the Texas Hill Country......VMSDX# 21

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Eli,
Ohhh We're so embarrassed that we didn't see your post earlier. :oops:
Welcome the the Forum!!

I agree with mic on the headphones.
But, even though they tell you the Frequency Response on most Cans, they tend to sound totally different.
In other words, two sets of cans can have the same published Frequency Response, yet when actually listening to them, they sound totally different from one another.
It is the same for microphones.
So Really, the only thing you can actually do to be absolutely sure, is to try them for yourself and compare.

But to answer your question directly, "Hello I use BOSE QC-2 headphones and was wondering if these headphones have good enough frequency response?"...
The answer is yes.

Sounds like you have an Excellent rig!!!!
Have Fun!
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

W6WTF
Audio Head

Post by W6WTF »

Thanks for the reply guys. No worries on the time it took this headset is not going anywhere. The Bose have a very rich sound and work well I just didn't know if there was more out there then what I was hearing. I also have a cheap o' pare of Sony MDR-CD280 headphones and they don't even come close to the Bose. The only problem with the Bose is that they go through Battery's about 1 every 3rd week. Glad they are rechargeable.
Eli..