NEW TO ESSB

All the other Voodoo Audio Topics.
k5kab
Voodoo Audio Head

NEW TO ESSB

Post by k5kab »

Hi guys, this is an awesome site ,this is what I have been looking for. A site to teach one how to bring that big punch into your face,the Voo Doo as you guys put it :D . Here is what im trying to do. I have a IC-706mkIIg on my station, the mic is a Re-20 into a behringer pre mic 2200 ,into a behringer virtulizer DSP2024P, out and into a euro rack 602 A ,that is the audio chain that I currently have .I'm waiting and hopefully the UPS truck stops by before tuesday I will install a behringer composer after the Dsp 2024P is this the correct or the way you would do it ,in order to get that voo doo :lol: ? 1 more question where do I get that software you guys are useing to graph the freq of the mics ? OH yea I do have an ibox (from W2ihy)between the EQ and the 706.

ruisgc
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by ruisgc »

Hi.
Welcome to the forum.
In order to respond your questions, Id like to start with your rig, you are using a radio with a small bandwidth (2.6khz if I’m not wrong???) wish is not the perfect radio to ESSB…but I think you can get a huge difference in your modulation.
So the answer is yes your rack is well connected.
You have an excellent mic, (in my opinion the best dynamic mic in the world).
In your rack is missing an important piece the Parametric Equalizer (maybe an Feedback Destroyer or an UltraCurve Pro DEQ2496 etc.) to put between the premic and the virtualizer.
Here is a possible example of a rack.
RE-20
Pre Mic 2200
DSP11244P or FBQ2496 or DEQ2496... (Parametric EQ)
DSP2024P (Virtualizer)
MDX2600 (Composer)
Mix 602A
IBox
Rig

Good luck.
Best wishes, and see you.

Rui
CT1HAR

The VOODOO from Portugal .........

k5kab
Voodoo Audio Head

Thanks

Post by k5kab »

Thanks for that info; this Voodoo bug kinda caught me off guard. I sold my Ft-1000MP, (Didn’t like the radio) started missing a radio in the QTH, so I brought in my mobile radio and instantly started receiving great sound reports. Than the bug bet, so I wanted to experiment to see how much VOODOO, I could get out of this radio befor purchasing a real rig. What radio would you say is the best rig for VOODOO for the money?

k5kab
Voodoo Audio Head

W2IHY

Post by k5kab »

Being new to this whole VOODOO sensation, what is the deal with W2IHY’s EQPLUS? The fact that it has all of these components built internally. Isn’t it a better buy or is his setup not conducive to the VOODOO AUDIO?

ruisgc
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by ruisgc »

Hi,

OK, what I’m telling you is to don't give up trying explore the voodoo possibilities in the 706, but don't expect a 4kc transmission with it. And I’m sure you will have some great time trying new configurations with your rack and the 706.
Another point is don't forget to get a Parametric EQ and if you can, the VOODOO secret weapon de Ultrafex EX-3200.
And the final and worst point what radio to use? This is a very tricky question, because everybody has a different opinion.
In my humble opinion it must be a Kenwood.
The TS-870S this is the best (in box) radio for essb, and the only one with flat 6k in reception.
Another one is the TS-2000, some friends are working with this one, with great results.
Don’t forget the 950sdx and the 850sat+dsp100 combo, those are the kings of the hill in essb. :shock:
So, I let to you the most difficulty part….the choice. :lol:

About W2IHY’s EQPLUS, in fact it seems to have all in it….but I don’t know. I let this question for the Voodoo lab guys.

Take care,
73 - Rui
CT1HAR

The VOODOO from Portugal .........

w5cul
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by w5cul »

Hey K5KAB,

I thought I would chime in a little here. Rui has you heading in the right direction regarding a decent Audio Rack. And his suggestions on various rigs for ESSB are quite accurate. But I must put a plug in for at least two more. The first is the Mark V. With some filter purchases and a little work, you can get that rig out to 6Khz for both transmit and receive. The only thing here is that you have to use your audio rack as a bandwidth limiter if you want to cut the transmit band-pass to something less than 6Khz. I have a setup like that and it works pretty good. Check out the Mark V mod doc on this website to learn more about the rig and the mods involved.

The other rig I would like to put a plug in for is the SDR-1000. That rig, straight out of the box is flat out to 10Khz for both receive and transmit. You can create any band-pass filter width that you wish on the fly. It is an awesome rig. Again, I have one of those as well, and use it everyday. The only caveat is that you will need a good strong computer to run the rig as it is completely in the digital world, offloading all of the DSP algorithms to your computer for processing. Check out the FlexRadio website, and hit up the KB articles. They will explain a lot about the rig and how it operates. A plus is that FlexRadio just came out with their new Flex-5000A, so there are a bunch of SDR-1000's hitting the used market for around $1K, cheaper than any of the other rigs that Rui or I have mentioned.

And oh by the way, welcome to the Forum!! If you have any questions, just ask away. There are a lot of knowledgeable guys on this forum who can provide great insight to those who are just starting out. And yes, once bitten, there is really no cure 8)

W5CUL

Live from the Texas Hill Country......VMSDX# 21

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy K5KAB!
We're soooo sorry we didn't see your post!
The little icon didn't light up on this forum for some odd reason.
We'll answer questions and comments as posted.
I'm waiting and hopefully the UPS truck stops by before tuesday I will install a behringer composer after the Dsp 2024P is this the correct or the way you would do it ,in order to get that voo doo
We would first place the Virtualizer AFTER the Composer Pro and before the mixer.
Why you ask?
Because you will destroy the Effects Tail with the compressor.
Anytime you add reverb effects to a mix, you want that to be the last piece in the audio chain.
If its not, then the compressor units dynamic compression of the mix will destroy the reverb tail in the mix.
where do I get that software you guys are using to graph the freq of the mics ?
Most use Hamalyzer as it is free, but the best is SpectraPlus and you can get it half price with the amateur radio Discount, but it is rather expensive.
In order to respond your questions, Id like to start with your rig, you are using a radio with a small bandwidth (2.6khz if I’m not wrong???) wish is not the perfect radio to ESSB…but I think you can get a huge difference in your modulation.
We've had one here before and it is a terrific rig.
Joe, N3JI did a mod to his and we tried it here to extend the bandwidth.
The mod consisted of replacing the solder in filter with the 3Kc Icom filter.
The Radio defaults to the 2.4kc filter for transmit, so if you install the 3Kc filter there and then place the 2.4 filter where the 3Kc went then it will transmit at 3kc.
Sounds great!
What radio would you say is the best rig for VOODOO for the money?
For the money as in cheapest way out, that would be the Kenwood TS-870s. No Mods necessary for terrific Audio.
what is the deal with W2IHY’s EQPLUS? The fact that it has all of these components built internally. Isn’t it a better buy or is his setup not conducive to the VOODOO AUDIO?
No, Not for Voodoo Audio.
His stuff is Great for entry level Audiophiles, but it lacks adjustability.
For the same price you can get some Pro Audio Equipment and have lots more adjustability and control over your audio.

OK, Hope this gave some incite!
Take Care!
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

VR2XMQ
Audio Head

Hello from the Far East.

Post by VR2XMQ »

Hello Guys,

Just joined the group and quite new to ESSB. I have the following in use right now:

Rig 1: Yaesu FT-2000 + W2IHY EqPlus and 8 Band Eq + Bock BM-X6 mic.

Rig 2. Yaesu FT-920 + Behringer FBQ800 Eq + FEX800 Effects/Enhancer + Shark DSP-110 Gate/Compressor + KAM RT-1 Ribbon Tone Dynamic mic.

Rig 3. Kenwood TS-870S + Behringer Ultragain MIC-200 Tube Mic. Preamp + M-Audio Sound Check Mic.

I am looking at expanding the set up for the TS-870S and to begin with purchasing a Behringer DEQ-2496 plus other components for Voodoo.

No doubt I will learn allot from the collective wisdom of the group.

Most nights I may be found on 20M ragchewing with DU1/W6OBB and HS0ZCW as well as VR2HF on 14.315MHz from 12.30 GMT onwards.

73 Steve, VR2XMQ :shock:

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Steve,
Welcome to the Forum!
Glad to have you here.

It sounds like you have a great start at getting some totally awesome Voodoo Audio. You will like what the DEQ2496 gives you as far as performance and versatility. That is a great unit.

N-Joy reading the past threads as there is a lot of information in there!!

Take care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

VR2XMQ
Audio Head

Post by VR2XMQ »

Thanks for the warm welcome, there will be allot of reading and catching up to do.

BTW has anyone had and experience with the ART tube amplifiers/equalizers?

Steve, VR2XMQ :wink:
Clean and clear audio will always cut through pile ups!