"Ya got TOO MUCH BAAAAASSSSS!!!"....

All the other Voodoo Audio Topics.
!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

"Ya got TOO MUCH BAAAAASSSSS!!!"....

Post by !KANT »

OMG, I hate when they say that!!!! :evil:

It's interesting to see how much stations can hear the full/rich broadcast sound from a station [like mine]. But when there are stations that continuously say, "you have to much bass", it just erks me. This happened today on 40 meters. My signal was easily S9+20 and these guys weren't using the older analog radios. My immediate response, "I'm not bassy....you're listening on a narrower filter". This went back and forth a few times, :roll: then I realized these guys WANTED to hear the narrow/pinched/DX/screaming/tearing audio. So, I dialed up my "DX parameters" and it was better...FOR THEM--I'm quite sure they would not have had the QSO if I didn't go to the DX/narrower sound. This is something that irritates the crap outta me--hell the band was very quiet and wasn't crowded. aaaaaaaarrrgh!!!! :evil:

Well, as they say, "you can please SOME of the people SOME of the time.....NOT ALL of the people all of the time". :wink:

Hey that's why I'm very happy that I can enjoy listening to well rounded [wider] audio than the pinched/narrow/fatiguing audio [and I enphasize FATIGUING!!!]

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Wooof Wooof Wooooooof....

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Ohhh Yea....We hear that everyday.

We have thought allot about this. We have also been asking allot of questions to the people that say these things.
We think that the biggest problem is WHAT the other station is listening to you on.
They might be listening to you on the 3" speaker in the rig, or on the Frequency Restrictive External Speaker that matches their radio.
Worst of all, the operator might be listening to you on some cheap Closed Air Headphones that boost the Bass "Out of this World"!!
That is a common problem with allot of these cheap headphones, the low end has an abnormal Boost.
The other thing was age. Most of the amateur operators today are up in years and have significant hearing loss. They actually need the narrow/pinched/DX/screaming audio to understand it. They call this "Presence". When they listin to the full range/rich audio, most all they are going to hear is the Low end, as the Mids and Highs are not BOOSTED enough.
We are fortunate enough not to be in that category yet. We still have a long way to go though.
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Sorry to take so long to repond to your response :oops:

Well just last night I got on my usual frequency [3.933--YOU KNOW MY BRUTHAHZ!!! :lol: 8) ] I setup a test setting on the EQ and wouldn't ya know it....someone had to say it. So I went to another [previous] setting which has a lot of high bandwidth increases from 1.25Kcps to 3.5Kpcs and all most everyone responded with, "what did you do??....you have 'sparkle' now." Anyway, I took it in stride and left the setting loaded.

There is another point I have to wonder about. One the more moden radios.....it seems that many operators for get that they can round off the [narrow] the high-pass filter skirt. Hell, I thought one station WAS too bassy [even on a 5K bandwidth]. But I didn't piss a bytch and no one else complained...... To fix that problem [at least for me] I simply rolled him up from 0cps to 100cps and it solved that issue. I don't know what to say about the people using older rigs, but hey....I fulfill good amateur practice.

As for headphones, the only pair I use now are my 7506's--hate my Senheisser HD240's. Don't know what these guys listen with. But a lot of 'em have loss of high frequencies [which gradually continuously decreases with age--so it'll get worse :evil: ] what are the chances of admittal?? :roll:

For the record, I use a TS-2000 and the monitor circuit sux and is a real disappointment [as compared to the 870<----nothing unmodified can touch it]. So setting up audio without an external receiver is tedious and frustrating :evil: So lord knows what they're hearing....OYE!!!!