Other Equipment Topics fer Yakin 'bout.
Steve
Audio Head

Rack gear with the TS950SDX

Post by Steve »

Hey All

I'm looking to get some rack gear to go with my TS950SDX

Behringer stuff is relatively plentiful & reasonably priced here in the UK

What would be the 'starter' recommendations for rack gear (I plan to use either the PR-781 or a PR40 mic)

Thanks in anticipation for any input.

Steve

SawzAll
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by SawzAll »

If you really want da voodoo; then a real tube preamp (the kind that are fed with +200v's of grid current) would be the first step. Like a Bellari unit. If you want a starter preamp, the Behringer Ultra Gain Pro 2200 uses 'tube emulation' (no real tube grid high volts) and is OK. I use one.

But getting the wiring right will be the next step after you pick a preamp. Mic to preamp is a stock XLR cable. But between the preamp and the radio is where you will want to get a W2IHY iBox and cable. This has a matching xformer inside, and W2IHY makes the cables for you. Or you can make them yourself. You won't use the mic input; instead you will be accessing the radio by using the ACC2 plug on the back of the radio. W2IHY will have that covered for you. The added bonus is that this method bypasses the radio's built-in preamp. Sounds and works much better this way - IMO.

From there, a Behringer DEQ2496 will cover parametric EQ, graphic EQ, compressor, and expander functions. A noise gate, reverb, mixer, and limiter can also be incorporated. Basically, everything a real broadcast station uses can and may be incorporated. I'm not a fan of Heil mics or dynamic mics for that matter; but I'll bet the ones you have will work audio voodoo and do an excellent job. Some pro broadcasters really like them, and I'm sure they are excellent. I like recording studio condenser mics, so I am a bit biased that way.

I'm only as far into this all with the mic, preamp, wiring, and DEQ. All my info has been acquired from this site and verified and so far it all checks out correct. This site has been very helpful and explained things very well. Getting audio voodoo will also take some time to fine tune it all and monitor - trial and error and taking some effort is manditory for best results.

I am still a n0ob when it comes to voodoo; but so far - so good . . .

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Y'all,

Excellent advise SawzAll!
The only thing that you didn't clarify was the modifications needed if you decide to go into the ACC2 JAck on the rear of the SDX. This is not a good idea on the SDX as it has the same problem as the TS-870 (C131 Mod) as to where there is a capacitor in line that will start to roll off your low frequencies below about 200Hz. Actually the SDX has 2 caps that need to be changed out. The SDX actually has a decent Mic Amp and will sound better going in thru the Front Mic Jack then thru the unmodified ACC2 Connector.

ref - http://www.wz5q.net/talkvoodoo/viewtopic.php?t=331

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

Steve
Audio Head

Post by Steve »

Hey, appreciate the input guys! :D

Okay, so far I'm thinking of the following line-up:

PR-40 (or 781) -->

MIC2200 Preamp -->

DEQ2496 Ultacurve Pro -->

DSP1124P (or 2024P) Feedback Destroyer -->

W2IHY Ibox --> TS-950SDX Mic Socket

I know there's better kit out there (like Bellari etc) but I'm trying not to break the bank after shelling-out on the Kenwood!

If I've missed something or you'd change one of the components then please do chip-in with any suggestions.

Thanks again.

Steve 8)