The Beginings of a Monster

The essence of Perfection. What is it that makes that Surreal Sound?
Buckskinner33
Audio Head

The Beginings of a Monster

Post by Buckskinner33 »

Hey folks...
I'll start my first post with a plan. They say the road to hell is always paved with good intentions. So here I go!

Ok ... I have the Kenwood TS-850SAT,
I have the stock old mic, MC-60. I sound ok, but I lack voodoo.

I have no more money (spent it all on the Kenwood) So ebay becomes my friend! I look at other peoples systems (notice I did'nt say rack) and drool with envey. My first step to hell.

So what do I need first... A mic!!! A big fat tube mic. The mic wars is on. Or is it?

Both Heil and Electrovoice are nice mics and are reasonably priced in comparison to the Neuman. But have you ever thought about Nady SMC 1000 or the 1050?

The SMC 1000 is at 89.00 and is just as good as the Heil or Electrovoice, but thats my opinion.

I only bring this up because I heard one on HF, and I must say I couldnt tell any difference. Mike If you read this post tell me what you think.

JD

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Monster Condenser Background Noise...

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Well JD,
We have never played with that Mic here, so we can't give ya too much advice on that particular model.
Nady makes terrific Microphones. The SCM 1000 model has some great features. Large 1.1" Gold Sputtered Diaphragm, Excellent Frequency Response, and it looks great. We're sure it would perform terrifically.

Now for the downside... :cry:
We don't particularly like Condenser Mics for my Application, because:

#1 - Background Noise.
In our environment, there is just WAY too much background noise. The Condenser Mic is soooo Sensitive that there is no way we can get the noise out of the audio. Sure, we can run a Downward Expander (Noise Gate) and get rid of the noise in between the syllables, but the problem is when we break the Threshold, the noise is mixed in with the audio because the Mic is so sensitive. We have also tried different gain settings...no help.
We have used many different Condensers, all with the same problem.

#2 - Low Frequency Resonance
The Dynamic Mics we use here, the RE-20 and the PR-40, have more Low Frequency "Resonance" than the Condensers.
Sure, the Condensers will usually pick up Lower Frequencies and more Low Frequency Energy than the Dynamics, But they just don't have that Low Frequency "Resonant" sound. This is important when you run Harmonics and Subharmonics...shhhhhh....thats a secret!

#3 - "P" Popping and Breath Noise
Because the Condenser Mics are so sensitive, they have a tendency to do this. A POP Screen is a MUST. We always use them on any Microphones we use, including the Dynamics.

#4 - 48V Phantom Power
No biggie, but you must have a Phantom Power source for the Condenser Mics to work. Most Preamps are made with this built in now.

Our preference are Dynamic Microphones. We have always liked them better.
If you have a "Quite" Shack, then a Condenser would sound just great. We have heard allot of them on the air and they sound just marvelous. But we have also heard the Noisy Shacks contaminating the otherwise beautiful Audio with Background Noise.

We didn't see a Frequency Response Curve for the SCM 1000. We would think it is very Flat. That being the case...It will more than likely need to be EQ'd.
More "Stuff"!
So now you need a Mic, A preamp with Phantom Power, and an EQ.
A few more steps closer to Styks....
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

You ain't kiddin' 'bout condensers being SENSATIVE!!--but I love mine [MXL 990] :D Another microphone you may want to consider is the Shure SM-7B<---I love that mic...and it's dynamic. You can find 'em on eBay for about $200-$250--a damn good buy. I think I'll pick up one again... :wink:

Post by Guest »

Thanks Guys:
You gave me a lot to think about.. I called Nady today, yesterday and the day before... And as my luck dictates the damn mic is no longer for sale at 89.00 bucks......

But, thats OK... I'm not mad ( not yet )

I do like the Heil mic. It is one for the wish list. But if you was limmited on funds where would you look for a good mic? And what other mics are good for what we are doing here?

Buckskinner33
Audio Head

Post by Buckskinner33 »

That Shure SM-7B is a nice mic. The cheapest so far on E-Bay is 250

It look loike for now I may settle on the Heil... It will be a while before I get it but not long.

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

If you are looking for outlets to purchase microphones, you may want to check out Full Compass--even for that Nady mic, Musician's Friend, BSW or even Sam Ash. Of the three Full Compass will have more than likely have the best price.

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Sure SM7B

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Be careful on which Microphone you ultimately choose.
Look at the Mics Frequency Response Graphs, especially on the Low End.
When you are going to use the Mic for VooDoo Audio rich with Subharmonics, You have to supply the equipment with the natural Low Frequencies to work with.
The Sure SM7B is a good Mic, but it starts to roll the Low Frequencies off to soon at about 120cps. That isn't real good for the VooDoo Sound.
You want something Flat down to around 50-70cps.
For comparison, the RE-20 is Flat down to 70cps, then starts to roll off slowly from 70cps on down.
This gives the VooDoo Equipment the maximum amount of natural Low Frequency energy and tone from your voice. This way you don't have to boost the low end with the EQ as much.

But remember....You have to have a Transmitter that will Transmit these Low Frequencies. Most Transmitter's Mic Amplifier Circuits will roll the Low Frequencies off at around 80cps. Thats why allot of people will go directly to the Balanced Modulator and Bypass the Rigs Mic Amp Circuitry.
The Kenwood TS-870s is a rig that is not Low Frequency limited. It will Transmit the Low Frequencies right out of the Box, No modifications necessary.

Full Compass is a terrific company to deal with. We have a contact there who is very knowledgeable and very helpful. He always gives us a damn good price on our orders. They display the "List" price on there advertisements. You have to call them to get the "Real" price.
His name is Damon Schereck, ext 1192.
One Two.........The VOOOODOOOOOOOO,
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo Guru

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

Or you can speak to my rep, Eric at ext. 1191... :wink: :D

I'm slowly getting more and more interested in this 'VooDoo--already into "enhanced" SSB audio :roll: You're correct, the TS-870 is still the best out-of-da-box rig for full flat response [receive 10Hz-6KHz and transmit [30Hz-3.2KHz]. When I had the 870 I was "clocked" at 4.5KHz, just under my 950. Now I'm experimenting with a TS-2000--let's see how far we can go. :D

Buckskinner33
Audio Head

Post by Buckskinner33 »

Sorry for the late reply.
Long days at work....And a mess at home. I'll be glad when these kids have there own place to tear up!!!

I do want to know this...What are cp's?

!KANT

Post by !KANT »

Buckskinner33 wrote:I do want to know this...What are cp's?

Cycles Per Second.....aka: Hertz (Hz)....

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Old School....

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Ha Ha Ha!!
Yea, its "Cycles Per Second".
We learned the old way and have a real problem with what they changed it to. It just doesn't sound right to say "Hertz".
Funny, seams everyone still says "Killocycles" or "Kc", instead of "KiloHertz" or "KHz", but they then say "Hertz" or "Hz" instead of "Cps".
Oh well....It'll always be "Cps" for us...right or wrong.
Just call us Rebel Rednecks!
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo Guru

!KANT

Re: Old School....

Post by !KANT »

wz5q wrote:Just call me a Rebel Redneck!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess being of the "Nu Skool" I have had to get used to operator using the term kilocycle [or KC's]. Oh well either way I still get the idea... :wink:

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Split....

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Hey JD,
We Split your last post over to the "Some More Stuff..." Forum.
Just tryin to keep wit da "Flow", Bro.
Voodoo Guru

SMC Productions
VooDoo Audio Guru

Post by SMC Productions »

Buckskinner33 wrote:That Shure SM-7B is a nice mic. The cheapest so far on E-Bay is 250

It look loike for now I may settle on the Heil... It will be a while before I get it but not long.
I have several Heil's....the PR40 is my fav...but I'm IN LOVE with the Shure SM7b, one of the best mics every made!
Studios need a whole bloody gaggle of them...best price on the web is BSW.

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=SM7B

Complete combo kit...

Great buy on a combo too!

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=SM7B

My next choice would be a EV RE27!

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=RE27ND
Calcitra Clunis

SawzAll
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by SawzAll »

What about matching the output of the final piece of rack gear to the mic input of the radio itself? Doesn't this require some kind of direct box - or even a transformer - to keep the input of the radio from being overloaded? This can also make adjusting the ALC a troublesome event if it isn't done correctly. Could even damage the mic circuit of the radio.

How does one match the last piece of rack gear to the radio itself? Any one piece of gear does this properly - what brand/model?
Inquiring nooBs need to know...

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Voodoo Guru