DBX 286A

The essence of Perfection. What is it that makes that Surreal Sound?
ZEDLR
Audio Head

DBX 286A

Post by ZEDLR »

Has anyone given this a look see, it's a little on the high side Price wise, but does include some RF filtering.

I like W4NEQ's write up on this, as well as his treatise on SSB audio.

http://www.scott-inc.com/ham/hamaudio.htm
BEER...........
KA3ZedLR.

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Good Unit.

Post by Voodoo Guru »

The 286a is a damn good unit.
Greg, W5UDX has been using that unit for a very long time.

We read the article from the link you gave in your post.
We agree wih almost everything W4NEQ states in his article...
Except the last bit about tube gear.
Of course we know that this is his opinion.

We do not agree with his views on that as We have also done proof-of-performance testing on tube gear compared to solid state gear.
We must make the statement that the tube gear that made a difference had High Voltage on the Plates (at least 150V) and was not of the "Starved Plate Voltage" veriety (around 30 to 50V).
We don't know what he tested.
If we can hear a difference in sound quality with our own ears between two pieces of equipment, then we know there is something different.
It is such a difference that people can tell over the air when the units are setup and A/B'd.
We won't go into all the tecky wecky of tube design and lore, but they do sound better to us.
And that is our opinion.
How can you NOT hear the difference????
Take Care,
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

ZEDLR
Audio Head

Post by ZEDLR »

Hi Mike,

Well i'm glad to hear someone is using this unit, and looking forward to aquiring one myself, I like the specs and the design. That's the First Greatest thing about the net and taking part on these boards is sharing the knowledge hints and tips and performance figures and facts all within hand reach.

Yes, Chris's article i think is put together well and I thought it would be a good addition to the collective, I hope it's a help to others, I know we all have favorite links and addys we follow and even equipment design and parameters, but there's always more, and more is better, all in goodwill OM...

Ah, on the subject of "Hollow State"... my favorite pastime...I'm guilty of being a Big Fan of "TOOBIES"... maybe To much...My Dungeon is overflowing and out of control as per the XYL... I have my tastes and likes and I think his view has some gravity...in lue of looking at what the Class E Guys have accomplished and addressed I'll tell ya from that point of view it's hard to argue.....some mighty fine sigs being produced VIA Solid State...and some pretty FBOM Audio...of course that being AM related.. ah, the limitations placed on SSB Phone...the reason i Joined the Board here, I support your following and what these Amateurs are accomplishing...to bad there are gripers out there who just refuse to understand the fun and enjoyment coming out of "Hard work and Experimentation" in addressing audio parameters....That is Amateur Radio...

I Like the VooDoo.... :twisted:

Nice to meet ya Mike....and the Group...
BEER...........
KA3ZedLR.