Where are all the audio heads that like that rich lowend?

Why are so many Amateur Radio Operators so Scared of Running Low Frequencies in there Audio?
w5udx
VooDoo Audio Guru

Where are all the audio heads that like that rich lowend?

Post by w5udx »

Where are all the guys that sound like an fm radio (not am) station?
It seems to me everyone is so focused on high freqs. in there audio (witch isn't a bad thing) but while doing so they dump there lowend harmonics.
Can we get both and sound like a million bucks?
I remember a few years ago, I could scan the bands, and every now and then there would be a guy that just blew me out of the water with the richest sound (even at 3.5k) and now I don't hear didley!

Where are the n2vu's of hammy radio? :roll:

Is everyone scared of running harmonics and lowend in their audio and sounding really rich and thick anymore?
:gib:
Don't give me that sissy ass audio, put some lows in it!

udx

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Audio Heads Scared??

Post by Voodoo Guru »

That must be it. They must be Scared. :shock:
Ever since the "Big Controversy" between the Pinnheads and the Audio Dudes, there have been less and less Full Range Audio heard on the Ham Bands.
Especially Rich Audio, full of Low End Harmonics.
OOOOOHHH...AAAHHHHHHH!!
It seems that this type of Audio always gets the full force of all the Bitchin. It doesn't matter how wide you are either. You can even be at a 2.7Kc bandwidth, but if you have any kind of Low Frequencies in your Audio....You are a Troublemaker, you are branded as being "WIDE", and You will catch Crap from just about all the Pinnheads.
We think this fact has gotten most of the Audio Heads to second guess themselves, and dump their Low Frequencies. Just so they don't have to hear all the Bitchin, Moanin, and Complainin from the Pinnheads.
We think that is even why some of the Audio Heads that used to run Rich Low Frequencies, have started to "Bash" and "Condemn" its usage. We believe this is to justify their Fear of the confrontations they would otherwise have if they used them, or condoned their usage. They have "Jumped onto the Bandwagon" and joined up with the enemy. In their minds, its easier to join them instead of fighting them.
This is a shame, because We have heard some wonderful sounding stations in the past. Now, the same Guys sound just like everyone else. No Low End, No Balls, pinched up Sissy Girlyman Audio. There is no longer any Individualism, Uniqueness, or just plain Great Sounding Audio out there.
Another thing is with these so called "Elite Audio Guru's" spouting all this Low Frequency disinformation. It is swaying allot of "Would Be Audio Heads" from Rich Low Frequency Harmonics experimentation. Just because these "Traitors" have jumped ship and no longer like to be at the front of the pack (Scared), they expect everyone else to follow their example.
It seems they think, "Well...since I have done all this, and been there, did that, got the "T'-shirt, and Know EVERYTHING...Since I don't like it now...no-one else should either."
This is pure Bull.
With all that experience, they should be there to give advice, and opinions...not Dictate so called Audio Laws, Rules, and Directives.
ALWAYS make up your own mind, Don't ever let someone do it for you.
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

the scotties

girlieman audio

Post by the scotties »

i understand from my view point it is more important and easier to complain about rich sounding audio because it is not FM radio station from the home stereo. it is more important for the main stream, real heavy CW individual to enjoy the sound of being pinched to go along with all of the wonderful sounds of the great staic crashes. to change is to show a sign of individualism and to show ones ability to not conform with the everday humdrum boring life that one is to experience. to experiment is of the ability to discover something new and then you might like it "why not do something different, after all it is good for you." remember if it makes sence don't do it. if you like it you might enjoy it. after all someone else might get jealous cause they did not think of it first or do it as well. after all this is really a kool hobby and unfortunatley it is associated with individuals that belive it or not have a personality which can lead to major EGO trips as we see on the AUDIO COPS section. have fun with this and do not ever take it personally after all there is too much really kool stuff to do.

thks. keep the voodoo audio sounding kool we dooees likkes it.

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

It's really ridiculous how just a few years ago the biggest thing was having that "full/rich/robust" audio and now the low-end sound is loathed by so many, even those that claim to be into "Enhanced SSB". I can understand the points of a station having excessive low-end, but doesn't have the signal strength to achieve adequite communication. Yes, it is quite possible to get full broadcast [6KHz] audio with very robust and warm subfrequency low-end. Don, N2VU was one of the first stations that caught my attention with his [40-70Hz commanding] low-end. Today not many stations operate with with that low-end [and probably with good reason]. One main rule one SHOULD go by is tailoring your processors to YOUR voice. If your voice does NOT have PRONOUNCE bass frequencies [40-75Hz]....DO NOT OUTRAGEOUSLY "BOOST" those frequencies. Stations try to do this and they sound awful. Today there are only a handful of stations that still run hard into the subfrequencies [and sound AWESOME!!!--IMO, since I listen to 5KHz all the time]. 8)

dg7lan
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by dg7lan »

yap, thats it.. i agree to kant 100%, there are so many ppl boosting things at the low end .. but what is it, if you boost nothing by 16db? you still have nothing.. yesterday i heard a guy with soooo much bass i could hardly understand him. it´s not easy to sound like n2vu. when i was a young boy, i was impressed by those voices in the movie-trailers and still i am.. that sound is my target.. but i (hopefully) will always keep the balance in mind. i don´t have my setup finished,yet, but i will look forward to bring some mechanical movement into your guys shack :) better screw your speakers to your desk..ok just kidding. for sure i don´t have enough lows in my voice to sound like donald.. but one needs a goal..

73s, and if in doubt, increase bandwidth :)
andy
...if in doubt, increase bandwidth

PaulB
Audio Head

Post by PaulB »

I'm your daisy!

I love the bottom end stuff; it's the thing I love most about audio...

Paul
N5DUP

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Paul!!!
We're Soooooo Sorry we didn't see the post sooner!
Our Bad.
Just want to Welcome you to the Forum Dude!!
Glad to have ya!
And We have to agree with your Statement 1025%!!!
Voodoo Guru

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Hi Paul and great to see you here on the VooDoo Forum Section.

Last week on 40M I heard a station with audio so narrow my ears were hurting. I have to edit it and send it out so some of the guys. Smooth-Rich-Robust-HarmoniK<----[yes, intentionally misspelled] :P is the way to be. Of course, have the rest of the spectrum compliment that sound. :wink:

CraigN7CAL
VooDoo Audio Crew

How do dat Voodoo that you do so well?

Post by CraigN7CAL »

Hello to all, newbie to the group so, OLA'! I gotta tell you, the range is what got me hooked. I have heard guys that run too much on the bottom end, so much so that in bad conditions they just melt into QRN. Then there are those who have the gear but just sound like "wide" DX audio. I got hooked by a bud in Florida who has been doing it for a long time and what he has in his audio is really what I want to get in mine. Robust no matter what the conditions are. I really love the full range. So far I have put an Ultrafex 3200 and Korg EQ (I will have to find a PEQ 2200 instead) and a Tapco SQ2 Gate limiter compressor. I want to add a Virtualizer next, then who knows? But rest assured, It will be phat! I will more than likely be looking for more bottom end conditioning with lots of transparency and headroom,,,,,, What to buy????? Hmmmm!

Thanks again Mike for the site

CAL
N7CAL

w5udx
VooDoo Audio Guru

Post by w5udx »

Craig,

25,000 ac. ranch in Montana, all I can say is DAM must be nice. Looks beautiful there. Looks like you are building your rack up. I don't know what you use for a mic pre but you might look at the Bellari RP-533 http://www.rolls.com/bellari/ Its a great mic pre for adding color (VooDoo) to the audio, wouldn't play hammy radio with out mine. I read you talked to, I think GOOB in FL. (ww4us) if so, tell that nipplehead I said HI and I'll be back on the air soon. Hope to catch you on the air from Montana with that VooDoo sound.

Don't give me that sissy ass audio, put some lows in it!

udx

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Craig,
Welcome to the Voodoo Forum!!!!
Glad to have ya here.

Thanks fer the complement on the site, We figured with all the questions out there, if they were all put in one spot over the years it would amass a large repository of information.
And it is!

It sounds like you are on the right track to Voodoo Nirvana.
Just remember, it takes time....lots and lots of time.
By that we mean HOURS and HOURS talking to yourself in the dummy load! hahahaha
Take Care,
Voodoo Guru

Dennis
Audio Head

Post by Dennis »

Ok so tell me is it a wast of time to setup a essb station? I have been out of the hobby for 12 years and active about 2 years now. And had to get some of my equipment work on after sitting for such a long time. Then I started hearing guys with this great sounding audio, and now I don't hear anyone anymore. So whats the store with that. I purchase some Behringer gear to try and get my rig sounding better. So now what? Do I need to junk the equipment. I don't have a Extra Class Lic so i can only listen at 14. 178 or 14.180 but even when listing I never hear any of the audio guys anymore. So I take it that the ESSB went out as fast as it came in.

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Dennis!
Welcome to the Forum!!!!
Glad to have ya here.

Don't Sell!!!!
We're still out there.
We think since the bands have been dead that most of the Audio Heads are just doing other things right now.
There is still activity out there if you know where to find it.
These are the spots to try:

during the day and early evening:
14.178, 14.168, anywhere on 17meters when there is a contest.
7.235 when the band is right for us locally

Late evening and late night:
3630 (6kc guys), 3933, 3930, 3870, 3830, 3820 (west coast)
For us when were on usually around 3840 or 7235

When 10 meters FINALLY opens back up we will be on the International Voodoo Frequency (IVF) of 28.730.

So don't give up hope, everyone is just getting stuff done for when the Bands open back up.
Patience....
Voodoo Guru

w5cul
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by w5cul »

Dennis,

Mike hit the nail on the head, "patience". There are more of us out there than any one of us really knows. Quite a few here in the US, and many in the UK and EU. And we are all getting everything ready for when the bands finally open up. So be patient and take this time to read , learn, and tweak the gear. There is a wealth of information on this forum alone, and many other websites, such as NU9N's that have in depth information regarding ESSB. So read as much as you can, no sense in re-inventing the wheel.

Hope to hear you on the bands.

W5CUL

Live from the Texas Hill Country......VMSDX# 21

YO3IBW
VooDoo Audio Crew

Post by YO3IBW »

He, he... also in Romania, the YO land... :D
73 de Dan YO3IBW
http://www.buz.ro