Debunking the Behringer Myth.

The Black Art of tweaking the Voo in the Doo...
THEMANFROMWEM
Audio Head

Post by THEMANFROMWEM »

Lets take a quick look at the MC2200 ---- Vacuum tube Ultragain Stage..Wrong.....The Ecc83 is configured as a cathode follower.

Now, don't get me wrong, I loke the modern Behringer quality, but WHY do they have to put so much misleading sh1t on their equipment.
Keep it simple, Fritz,
Howard UK

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Howard,

The Tube is also using what they called "Starved Plate Voltage" of about 30 to 50 volts in lieu of 150 to 200 volts. The Filaments are also unused, they put an incandescent lamp behind it to light the tube up.

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

THEMANFROMWEM
Audio Head

Post by THEMANFROMWEM »

Voodoo Guru wrote:Howdy Howard,

The Tube is also using what they called "Starved Plate Voltage" of about 30 to 50 volts in lieu of 150 to 200 volts. The Filaments are also unused, they put an incandescent lamp behind it to light the tube up.

Take Care,
Good morning voodoo Guru...well, I must take you to task a little.

Firstly the tube WILL work with 48 volts on the anode, as you say, the anode voltage is normally 200-300v dc, but 48v. is ok in Behringer's application. (the 48v. comes from the power supply on a separate winding from the transformer, as i remember).

The heater is actually powered from the 17 volt line, from the psy, via a dropper, so it does power the valve. (when you turn the 2200 on, you have to wait for the heater to activate the valve)

Thirdle, im surprised the valve lasts as long as it does. Wyy?, because applying the anode voltage before the tube has warmed up , can strip the cathode.

good forum, this, like it a lot. I generally use behringer 800 mini series on vhf/uhf, and the 19 inch rack gear on mt ft101zd on hf.
Thank you so much for the reply, and happy holidays, to yourself and family.
from Howard M0WEM in the uk.

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy Howard,
Ahhhh yes, I looked again and you are correct, I stand corrected on the Heater being powered.

I am not a fan of Starved Plate applications using a low Anode voltage. I feel it is a waste of resources. If you are going to go thru the motions of using a tube you might as well use High Plate Voltage and get the maximum benefits from it. But as you say it is sufficient for Behringer's application of applying some kind of "Tube Warmth" to the audio mix. I suppose that way they can say they are using a Tube and don't have to pay for the extra expensive of higher voltage rated components and a high voltage winding.

I surmise they can get away with the power on sequence due to the low anode voltage.

Merry Christmas!
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

THEMANFROMWEM
Audio Head

Post by THEMANFROMWEM »

Voodoo Guru wrote:Howdy Howard,
Ahhhh yes, I looked again and you are correct, I stand corrected on the Heater being powered.

I am not a fan of Starved Plate applications using a low Anode voltage. I feel it is a waste of resources. If you are going to go thru the motions of using a tube you might as well use High Plate Voltage and get the maximum benefits from it. But as you say it is sufficient for Behringer's application of applying some kind of "Tube Warmth" to the audio mix. I suppose that way they can say they are using a Tube and don't have to pay for the extra expensive of higher voltage rated components and a high voltage winding.

I surmise they can get away with the power on sequence due to the low anode voltage.

Merry Christmas!
thany you VG,
if you need any sort of circuit diagram for most of Mr. U. Behringer's equipent, will be pleased to email to you, or your friends.

A circuit diagram is worth it's weight in gold, when you're troubleshooting.
A bit like a sig. gen , a 'scope and a multimeter, priceless.

I still have the old Yaesu ft101zd, and luckily a set of replacement Mullard valves,
happy days, and let's see if we can get the youngsters back on the forum, and experimenting..that'd what they gave us the ham licence for, to experiment...

excellent, Howard UK