PLEASE: DC-DC Board for TS-850 - X59-1100-00 *PLEASE*

Ya Got or Want some Voodoo Equipment?
Buy and Sell yer Stuff Here!!
PU2OYL
Audio Head

PLEASE: DC-DC Board for TS-850 - X59-1100-00 *PLEASE*

Post by PU2OYL »

I am looking for a very cool person to buy the X59-1100-00 part for the TS-850 from PacParts and re-ship it to Brazil.

I will pay all the expenses upfront + S&H + your profit, thru paypal (immediate payment).

The link for the part is here:

http://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?part_n ... CatchPages

:P

PU2OYL
Audio Head

Post by PU2OYL »

You know.. I will pay everything including your profit..

If you want Ill pay upfront (i.e. Ill pay before you buy), including your profit, expenses and S&H to Brazil.

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy PU2OYL,

That looks like the ALC Sub Unit, if your having issues with it why don't you just change the resistors out on it. This mod works very well and I have done it many times.

Some times even brand new Sub Units will fail and have the same issue unless the resistors values are changed.

One other thing is that if the resistors are not changed on the sub unit, Supply Voltage is very critical and must not drop below 13.5V or the ALC will act up.

Here is the mod from VK4TUX...

A common ALC fault in the X59-1100-00 DC-DC converter board causes TX output power to cycle up and down in regular cycles due to alc voltage variation. This is dependent on the power supply voltage and will show up usually under 13.5v or less.

Instead of replacing the DC-DC converter board replace R2 and R3, 22kohm SMD resistors with a lesser value. I used 13kohm SMD resistors with great results ;ie no power dropoff symptoms down to 9v supply tested. Have heard of 18Kohm values used with good results too.

Adrian
de VK4TUX
Good Luck,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

PU2OYL
Audio Head

Post by PU2OYL »

Hello Voodoo Guru,

Yeah I've seen that mod, the problem is.. Im not so "proficient" in soldering so I would like to purchase 1 or 2 of those boards and then try to fix the one i have in the radio, If i do it without a backup and something goes wrong I will end up with a very big paper weight.

As I said I do not mind paying upfront (before someone order), I will even pay for all expenses and profit.

Im just asking for help, since they do not ship directly to my country.

Thank you!

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Rodger on having a spare!! :D

It is easier to change the resistors on the ALC Sub Unit then to actually remove the Sub Unit from the Main board. It does not come out easily even with the correct de-soldering tools. :(

The easiest way to remove the entire ALC Sub Unit is to just clip all the leads off it, then remove the remaining leads from the circuit board solder holes. This unfortunately destroys the removed ALC Sub Unit.

To do the resistor mod, I usually remove the Electrolytic Capacitors in front of the ALC Sub Unit to have room to change the surface mount resistors. Then reinstall the Electrolytic Caps paying attention to the polarity marks on the caps and the circuit board.

Did you call PacParts and confirm stock? They get there stock directly from Kenwood and if I remember right, Kenwood was out of stock on that part.

I will call tomorrow when they open and check parts availability for you.

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

PU2OYL
Audio Head

Post by PU2OYL »

WOW,

Cool! Thank you!

In that case, please send me your paypal account, I will send you the money, shipping costs and please, charge me for all expenses and profit.

Soon enough I will be able to say "VOODOO, that I Do, Soooo Well"...

thank you!

:)

BillPaul
Digital Voodoo Guru

Post by BillPaul »

FYI, I recently started having trouble with the DC-DC converter circuit in my TS-850 as well. (Luckily I still have that dusty old TS-950SDX backup radio to tide me over. :) ) While deciding what to do to it, I stumbled across this article:

http://oz1bxm.dk/TS850/ts850-repair.html

It states that the reason for the failures has to do with the hfe (forward current gain) of the transistors degrading. Changing the resistors helps but seems not to be the best fix. The article recommends replacing the whole circuit with a DC-DC converter chip instead.

The ICL7660CPAZ chip mentioned in the article along with the small voltage regulator are readily available from Mouser electronics.

Now, you could make up a perfboard replacement like the one shown in the article, and that's what I was prepared to do. However I happened to mention this to a friend of mine, and he was nice enough to create this for me:

http://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/ccSnAUgE

It costs $4.80 to order 3 boards from them, with free shipping (in the U.S. anyway). My order is still pending (it's been sent for fabrication and should ship next week). All you have to do is mount the parts. With only 4 components and a few wires to solder, it's a simple project for an afternoon.

I can follow up once I get my boards and finish fixing up my radio. So far all I've done is disassemble it to get the ALC board out. I'll probably un-solder the DC-DC converter board this weekend.

-Bill, N1GPT

BillPaul
Digital Voodoo Guru

Post by BillPaul »

Well, the replacement boards showed up, and I have the new circuit installed. The TS-850 seems to be working fine: the ALC behaves as expected.

Below is a photo of the replacement board with parts fitted, along with two blanks and the original. (Why did I get 3? Because OSH Park's minimum order is 3 boards. But the total cost was USD$4.80, so I can't complain. I still have enough parts to populate one more board.)

And here's a photo of the new DC-DC converter circuit mounted on the RF unit sub-board:

I got the voltage regulator from here:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... 8L08ABZ-AP

And the DC-DC converter IC from here:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... CL7660CPAZ

Share and enjoy!

-Bill