Studio Projects TB1 mic

Reproducing that Incoherent Rhetoric from the Flapping Pie Hole...
JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Studio Projects TB1 mic

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi y'all AudioPhiles and VooDoooooo Gurus!

A fellow who is selling a TB1 write that "The best ones [mic capsule] were made by 797 Audio. They were trained by the Neumann folks. The TB1 has the 797 capsule in it. It does not sound like the normal bright Chinese ones at all."

He also told me that "all of the sound goes through the 1uf cap. The poly film caps have a much more smooth, detailed, clean sound than the mylar cap that comes with the mic." So, he's replaced the mylar cap with a poly film cap.

Also, I am told "the 12AT7WA tubes are military special made for lower noise and much longer life. These are not made anymore but I had a few brand new made in the 70's. This fellow has replaced the 12AXT with the 12AT7WA as "its gain factor is 60 compared to 100 on the 12AX7 but this gives the mic a lot more headroom....."

Could anyone advise if the changes made mentioned above really make any difference for our application!!??

Sure look forward to feedback !!

JJ :)

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy JJ,

We cannot comment on the capsule changes as we've never had them here to try.

The statement on the capacitors is true in our opinion. Polystyrene is the best with Polypropylene second.

Tube rolling for gain changes is common practice as is rolling them for different sonics. This subject on tube sonics has been beat to death so we will not go into it here. Try a search on the interweb for Tube Rolling.

Again, remember that the final mix is only as good as the preceding components. It is a cumulative compilation.

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by JJ2013 »

Hey VooDoo Guru!

Sure value your response :)

Cheers!!

JJ