Zoom H2 mike on TS-870S

Reproducing that Incoherent Rhetoric from the Flapping Pie Hole...
19ut003
Audio Head

Zoom H2 mike on TS-870S

Post by 19ut003 »

Hi to you all on the forum!

Not so long ago I experimented with a Zoom H2 recorder (first model) on my TS-870S. The H2 is a very interesting stereo/surround pocketsize audiorecorder with four built-in mikes of outstanding quality. I connected the line-out of the H2 with the mike-input of the 870 (not the acc), with only a non-axial high quality capacitor of 10 uF/63 V in series with the signal and the mike-in on the 870 is bridged to GND with a 1000 Ohms resistor. The mike is powered by an ajustable regulated powersupply. When the H2 is left switched on you only have to power-up the supply for it to work. I tweaked the settings of the H2 (stereo to mono, speach = agc 2, no low-cut, volume 50, monitor on) and on the 870 (TX EQ HI, TX-bandwidth 0 or 100-3000 Hz, mike agc 1, mike vol. 3.5).

WOW!

What a surprise this little gem – the H2 – had in store for me. I used to work for an international shortwave radiostation, and a radiobuddy told me my TX-audio on the 870 sounds like when I was on air during professional AM broadcasts. I never thought 3k bandwidth could sound so good. The Zoom H2 also performs great on FM and even with full TX-power (~120 Watts on my indoors antennas) there are no problems with RFI. I only use ferrite at all in- and outputs to choke possible RF interference. Not even a galvanic separation for the input is needed, but a (double) windscreen is a must have to reduce wind overload on the Zoom H2.

After fooling around with all kinds of audio equipment, the Zoom H2 is my microphone. And very important: A very affordable option for wonderful rich-sounding ESSB transmissions!

Greetz and 73 from Holland!

Bart | 19ut003 - http://www.19ut003.com
Last edited by 19ut003 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:58 am, edited 13 times in total.

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Howdy 19ut003,

Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for your input on the Zoom H2. That sounds like a very interesting combination for the 870. This is what we like to hear and see, "Out of the Box" type of thinking and experimentation. :)

Take Care,
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

19ut003
Audio Head

Post by 19ut003 »

My pleasure to be here, it's a joy to reed about all kinds of essb-related stuff, my passion too. My next project will be a 2k9 filter in an ft897d, and experiments with all kinds of alternative mikes for this Yaesu radio. I'll keep you posted on the results.

73's! | Bart | 19ut003 - the Netherlands

- May the BIG SOUND be with you -