Studio Projects T3 and TB1

Reproducing that Incoherent Rhetoric from the Flapping Pie Hole...
ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

Studio Projects T3 and TB1

Post by ECC82 »

Both are valve\vacuum tube microphones, they both have a 12AY7 (6072) triode inside. Large membrane capsule microphones.
I bought the T3 and another Ham radio amateur bought the TB1
Ordered two new capsules here:
http://microphone-parts.com/
The RK-47 capsules were placed in the microphones and the sound is richer/fuller now. Costs of two elements was 200 dollars and customs in The Netherlands thought an additional import duty of 44 euro (57 dollars) was necessary :(
The T3 is a fine addition to the VooDoo line up and my pal, who uses the TB1, is very satisfied with his end result as well.

Conclusion: Not to expensive microphones and with the capsule mod it has a very nice/rich/deep audio. One thing on the to do list: change the tube, because I'm convinced that a tube swap could improve the sound even more.

Chris
PA3TVI
===================
>> Livin' la VooDoo Loca <<
===================

KiloD9
Audio Head

T3

Post by KiloD9 »

I recently bought a T3 and now looking into the capsule replacement, thanks for the info.

On your "to do list" have you had time to replace the tube yet? if so what tube or if not what tube are you thinking about using.

Thanks
Larry

ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by ECC82 »

Hi Larry,

Yes, replaced the tube, had a couple of Philips 6201 goldpin tubes in the "junk box". This web site has nice info concerning equivalent tube types.
http://www.thetubestore.com/Gain-Factor
I'm very happy with the result of the swap, gave a Ham pal of mine a 6201 yesterday, for his TB1, haven't heard his verdict yet.

Ordered a pop filter yesterday
http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/pop.html
Apparently there is a difference in tone depending on which side of the filter you talk into.

Cheers,
Chris
===================
===================

KiloD9
Audio Head

T3

Post by KiloD9 »

Hi Chris,
I did pick up a GE 5 Star black plate (6072) tube and installed it last weekend did hear a slight difference right away...it's a NOS so now need to do some burn in time.

Thanks for the link on the pop filter, have you had time to use it? maybe a little reveiw, atm I'm only using the foam screen the mic came with.

ECC82
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by ECC82 »

Hi KiloD9,

Glad the tube swap works for you too. After my tube swap the sound is clearer. The pop filter is a nice addition and works well, haven't tried to turn the filter around, 180 degrees (they say that this changes the sound as well) The logo is on one side and it certainly looks best to use the filter this way. The construction of the filter is the same front/back so I would be surprised if this would have any affect at all.

Chris
===================
===================