open for mic inputs

Reproducing that Incoherent Rhetoric from the Flapping Pie Hole...
w5kai
Voodoo Audio Head

open for mic inputs

Post by w5kai »

Hi Gang, After using the heil pr-40 for 2 years I must admit. I HATE THIS FRIG"N MIC. :shock: The preamps can't give it proper gain,I tried several, The hhb radius 20 is the only eq that i found will tame the lows and the proc effect is so small I need a neck brace to talk on the radio.
I'm looking at the Karma k58 and also the oktava mkl 2500. All the recording studio reviews sound great,but this is Hammy radio we're talking.
Any suggestions.
VMSDX # 24
Special Zombie Edition

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Are you looking for Dynamic or Condenser?? The many operators have been finding success with PR-40. Personally, I adored the Shure SM-7B. Maybe you should take a look at that mic. It's roughly about the same price as the Heil [$350 new] :wink:

SawzAll
Voodoo Audiophile

Re: open for mic inputs

Post by SawzAll »

w5kai wrote:Hi Gang, After using the heil pr-40 for 2 years I must admit. I HATE THIS FRIG"N MIC. :shock: The preamps can't give it proper gain,I tried several, The hhb radius 20 is the only eq that i found will tame the lows and the proc effect is so small I need a neck brace to talk on the radio.
I'm looking at the Karma k58 and also the oktava mkl 2500. All the recording studio reviews sound great,but this is Hammy radio we're talking.
Any suggestions.
I don't know of anyone that hates their PR-40. First time I heard such a thing. Not much difference between a PR-40 and the ElectroVoice RE-20 or RE-27. Which are both outstanding and specifically engineered for broadcast use.

Let me get this right; you can't get the right gain structure out of it ?
Can you be a bit more specific?

One mistake that is often made with audio gear are the compressor settings. Often overdone by not letting enough dynamic range in before compression begins to take over. Back off the threshold so that it only barely affects the peaks. 4 to 1 ratio. Compression is often misunderstood and many think that more is better. More isn't better; it needs to be used judiciously. Much of the human voice's natural sounds can become unnatural by too much compression.

I use either a MXL V-88 or a V-69 mic and prefer them both because of cost and sound quality to a dynamic mic. Not the sharpest tools available. But I got them to work outstanding. Of course, I studied in a recording studio and did pro live sound. But the real means to make these mics work - or any mic for that matter - is to impose as little EQing as necessary and then work with the compressor. The better the mic; the less one should impose EQing. Pick the mic to suit the voice; not the other way around.

I have a local friend that uses a ElectroVoice RE-27 and it took him a while to get it to sound right and to his liking. He had the 'compressor blues' until he bypassed it and slowly added compression. Happy camper now.

Don't punt it yet; it really is a keeper. Work with it a bit more. Start with just the mic and preamp and then the EQ. The compressor should be the last thing to adjust.

Just some thoughts . . .

w5kai
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by w5kai »

Hey guys ,thanks for the help. But the compressor is after the preamp and the eq. I wasn't talk'n about the final drive to the radio,just the input drive to the pre amp itself. I've really had to push the preamp more than I expected to get the drive level of -5db to the next piece which is the hhb radius 20 eq with an input control also. I'm talk'n about a art mpa gold with variable imp input,I've already taken to the trash bend the behringer 2200 and a dbx pre. because of this.
I know the mic don't sound bad and It's purtty to look at but the micing technic of look'n 0 degrees ahead without be able to move your head 20 degrees in any other direction with out losing voice pressure is nuts for me. I don't want to knock BOB's Mic at all. If you can look stright ahead at the windscreen for every word you will be happy with the sound. But I have blinky lights,meters,and graphs to look at . I may just need to go back to my old ugly ass pale blue rode nt1 $100.00 mic. Thanks guys
VMSDX # 24
Special Zombie Edition

w5kai
Voodoo Audio Head

Post by w5kai »

OK after finding the rfi in my ex3200 and fix'n that, reworking my audio levels to drive everything properly and re eqing the whole thing to the better sound I was looking for. I'm not totally PO'd at the audio game in general. I retract my statement about the pr-40. I just had one of those nights that something had to take the blame and there the pr40 was in my face.
Accually the problem was the rfi. I had to run the mic level low to hold down the power overshoot and then the rfi would get amplified in the 3200 and there would be a power outburst in the ts-870. SORRY BOB
w5kai :oops:
VMSDX # 24
Special Zombie Edition