Which Path Should I Choose Oh Great Audio Gawdz...

Reproducing that Incoherent Rhetoric from the Flapping Pie Hole...
!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Which Path Should I Choose Oh Great Audio Gawdz...

Post by !KANT »

So as questions are posed and answered, here is one from the audience; "which type of microphone should I use and why?? I've been told dynamic mics are good, but just are NOT as sensitive or accurate as condenser microphones. But condensers require power to operate--equating to extra cost I would love to have an accurate reproduction of my voice, but my operating location isn't dead silent so the sensitivity my work against my intentions. So again, which type of mic??"

(Bladed Unikorn)

SawzAll
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by SawzAll »

The ElectroVoice RE-20 or RE-27n/d, the Shure SM-7 or SM-58 are all top dogs for dynamic mics. The first three are used professionally in commercial broadcasting stations. Local friend uses the RE-27n/d and sounds great. +$300/new and $250/used.

I went the route with Chinese condenser mics. I really like them; I think they sound more natural. Half the price of the big boy dynamic mics. Top choices - imo - are the MXL V88 and the MXL-2003a for $160/new and less than $100/used. Too cool!

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Thanks Saw. I was going to recommend the SM-7B (which I truly regret selling). I just ran across a user reviews of the Sennheiser e835 compared to the Shure SM58--the e835 won (and it costs less to boot).

Condensers mics are sweet and you're correct about the cost differences. In fact, you can pickup some condensers for as little as $20 (new). They may not have as large a diaphragm, but it's way more than adequate for SBB (or even AM if you play in that sandbox.)

Also, I heard a station on 75M a couple weeks ago and just had to compliment his audio--very comfortable, natural and full. He told us he was using a $25 Logitech headset. He even hot-swapped to the Heil headset (with both elements) and the Logitech significantly sounded fuller and richer--4 other stations agreed. If he never mentioned what he was using we would have thought it was a more expensive mic.

Consider your options, many choices to choose from. You may not get the exact answer you're looking for, but that just may be best to widen your FOV....

N2QN