AKG...

Reproducing that Incoherent Rhetoric from the Flapping Pie Hole...
!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

AKG...

Post by !KANT »

SawzAll
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by SawzAll »

Old thread here....

I used to have one in my recording studio a decade back. Very sensitive mic with a very flat response. One could almost hear a fly sneeze two houses away when using headphones. Used it as the primary vocal recording mic. It could really cut through in recordings. No coloration to be noticed...

Moving the clock forward to today, I find that so many of these MXL mics are doing almost the same work at a fraction of the price. I think I paid $750 for the AKG-414 B-ULS/used; and I paid only $80/used out-the-door for the MXL V-88 at a music shop.

I think the Chinese do a fine job making these things. They should spend a few more pennies and put quality capacitors in them as well. I don't like the MXL 990; it just isn't enough. But the V-88, V67, and 2003a mics REALLY blow my mind. TO think they did it so well is amazing to me!

If you are considering a C-414 - you could just save a pile of cash and just get a MXL 2003a or V67 - I would!
Last edited by SawzAll on Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

Great Info SawzAll.....Thanks!
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Hiya Sawz. Thanks for the information. I've heard from a few guys who used and loved the '2003. And I'll have to admit, they sounded wicked on their '870's--of course processing from the rack helps...(heheheh).

MacJordan
Audio Head

Post by MacJordan »

The C414 was available in 2 versions. Either, the C414E, with cannon type connector or, the C414C with a connector to the "Din standard". Identical in appearance to the C412, the C414 continued to use the AKG "Custom" stand mount.
The next version of the C414, was the C414EB. Much the same as the C414, with the addition of a 3 position Attenuator switch (0,-10,-20dB) and 3 position Bass roll-off switch (Flat, 75, 150Hz).
Property Management

SawzAll
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by SawzAll »

http://www.akg.com/site/products/powers ... ge,EN.html

They are practically a true reference mic, as their freq response is one of the flattest I've seen.

http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/psf ... 3c018f.pdf