Is this a utopian goal!?

That VOODOO Low End, Should it be allowed on the Airways or Not?
JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Is this a utopian goal!?

Post by JJ2013 »

Hi you all AudioPhiles and VooDoo Masters of the Universe!

As a "reminder," I have done the cap mod and am feeding audio in through ACC2 and this does work for me well. Also, I am using "0" as the TX shift which is way better than using 100Hz on my Kenwood TS870.

TS870s having been manufactured in different years have been known to be able to transmit at wider than 4 kHz TX transmit bandwidth.

The jury is out on this I assume, but some audiophiles have told me that depending on the S/N, the firmware in ROM +DSP (TX filter pass-band) may impose a hard TX bandwidth limit that you just can't exceed no matter what you do with outboard audio processing gear! I am wondering how some have been able to do that with TS870 rigs with a slew of different S/Ns?

Should I be boosting (narrow Qs) different frequencies such as 4kHz, 6 kHz although 6kHz appears unrealistic! I know that studio (yes, I DO realize that we're talking radio here NOT studio recording!) engineers talk about "feathering" that is to say for instance boosting frequencies (I assume using narrow Qs) within a given frequency band with a string of frequencies involved. I might imagine that I could boost 4kHz (15/60 octave), 4.5kHz (15/60 octave), 5 kHz (15/60 octave) for instance but then the question becomes, will I be able to use the compressor to make sure my ALC doesn't go crazy WITHOUT killing the dynamics of the audio? I could probably boost high frequencies well using EQ but then I would sound like a machine as I would need to compensate for those boosts with the compressor : (((( Seems counter-intuitive to first boost highs (albeit this is a static function) and then COMPRESS them (dynamic feature versus static).....

I would appreciate some common sensical advice!

Best 73s de Juha

NI2M

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

You're NOT going to get to past 3.6kHz with a bandwidth oshift of 0 - 3000, just not going to happen. The shift MUST be 100 - 3000 for proper balance. With proper EQ'ing and control you can have a response of 50Hz - 4kHz--[I've seen/heard 39Hz - 4.7kHz with extreme EQ control.] With the 870 there is compromise and a shift of 100 - 3000 is the preferred balance.

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by JJ2013 »

Man, does that mean that the cap mod I did was all for nothing then : ((( ? In theory it would enable 40Hz to pass through.......
Does this mean there is also no way to use EQ to get a really low frequency roll-off? Incidentally, quite a few people have told me that my condenser sounds like it produces some audio with pretty low frequencies in it :lol:

Cheers!!
JJ

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by JJ2013 »

Whooooooopsss.......you did already answer my question I just asked :lol: I should learn to take a little more time reading people's responses :)

JJ2013
Voodoo Audiophile

Post by JJ2013 »

I guess my simple mind doesn't get the 100Hz-3000Hz TX shift too as why would I first want to get rid of the 0-100Hz only to strive to EQ it back in?? :?